Inclinations #10: Modes of Curatorial Practice: Between Art, Cinema and Performance
Tuesday April 15, 7:30PM, 2014
Or Gallery Berlin is pleased to present Bettina Steinbrügge in _Modes of Curatorial Practice: Between Art, Cinema and Performance _, for the tenth in our speaker series ‘Inclinations’ hosted by Patricia Reed.
“We said that the old question of Bazin ‘What is cinema?’ is not relevant anymore because the main question is ‘Where is cinema?’ But, (evidently) we cannot disconnect the question ‘Where is cinema?’ from the question ‘What is cinema?” — Chris Dercon
Studied Fine Arts, English Philology and Comparative Literature in Kassel. She was director of the Halle für Kunst Lüneburg from 2001-2007. Steinbrügge has taught at the University of Lüneburg; the Kunstraum of Leuphana University, Lüneburg; and since 2009 at the Haute école d’art et de design (HEAD) in Geneva. Since 2007 she has been a member of the programming team for the Forum Expanded of the International Film Festival in Berlin (Berlinale). From 2009 to 2011, she curated for La Kunsthalle Mulhouse – Centre d’art contemporain; and from December 2010 to the end of 2013 she was curator for contemporary art at the Kunst am Belvedere/21er Haus in Vienna. Steinbrügge is currently the director of the Hamburg Kunstverein (since January 2014), and publishes regularly on contemporary practices with particular focus on art and the moving image.
A monthly speaker series at Or Gallery Berlin, hosting philosophers, artists, curators, and…
The presentation of work revolves around the posing of a question that is the thrust of a guest’s activities. It goes without saying that questions may not be answered, but are grappled with in their unresolvability. An inclination is the force of attraction to a question (without a straightforward response), yet also to each other, as a community who partakes in a common quest(ion).
Hosted by Patricia Reed
- Arriving at a question is already a departure.
- Questions are a declaration of departure.
- Arriving at a question in thought or activity is also the creation of a trajectory, of inclining oneself towards an unknown goal, yet not without direction.
- A question inclines a departure in a particular way, but a question itself is generic – it propels all modes of seeking some thing. Questions possess the force of bending and swerving ideas/action.
- A question is the confrontation and departure from a lack. To arrive at a question is to arrive at a gap in knowledge, action and speech – a gap that cannot be immediately filled in without the inclination towards something other.
- A question is indisciplinary; the inclining magnetism of a question knows no disciplinary bounds.
In Kooperation mit der Botschaft von Kanada/In collaboration with the Embassy of Canada.
Or Gallery Berlin
T. +49 (0) 3060 9595 21
E. berlin @ orgallery.org
Gallery hours 12 - 5PM
Saturdays or by appointment